request a callbackphone


A handy guide to contractor insurance

Posted by: Neil Kellaway | 09.07.18

If you’re just starting out in contracting, you’ll no doubt have a long checklist of things you need to do before you can reach out to clients. One of these tasks will be taking out quality insurance for your new Limited Company.

We understand that the world of insurance can feel like a minefield, so let us help! The Intouch team has put together this simple guide explaining the types of cover you’re likely to need – but first, that all-important question…


Why exactly do you need insurance?

Like any other business owner, contractors need to protect themselves against a number of risks. Arguably the main risk for contractors is a third-party claim against your business – for instance, if a client accuses you of negligence or damage to their property.

Without cover, a single claim could tarnish your reputation and cost you thousands of pounds to put right. It could very well spell the end to your small contracting business.

But also, you’ll find that having insurance is an essential requirement in the contracts you have with agencies and companies. A quality insurance policy will protect you against the unexpected and give you peace of mind with each new contract you take on.


The types of insurance you’ll need

Cover comes in all shapes and sizes – here are the types of insurance you’ll need in order to fully protect your Limited Company:


• Professional indemnity

If a client believes you’ve done something wrong in your work, known as ‘professional negligence,’ this cover will protect you against the financial implications of them claiming against your company. For instance, it will pay out legal defence costs and damages awarded to the client.


• Public liability

As the name implies, this cover is needed if you deal with the public – for example, if your clients visit your office or you work at their premises. It offers protection in the event someone is injured or property is damaged as a result of your work.


• Employer’s liability

This protects you against claims made by employees. As you don’t have any employees, you might be wondering why you need it? However, you’ll find that many agencies and clients require you to have employer’s liability cover, alongside public liability and professional indemnity insurance.


• Directors’ and officers’ liability

As the director of your own business, you could be held accountable for a number of legislative breaches involving things like mismanagement, health and safety failure or failing to comply with company law. This insurance will cover the financial costs of a claim to make sure it doesn’t take a hit on your bottom line.


• Occupational personal accident cover

If you’re injured while working and your business grinds to a halt, it’s almost certain that you’ll be at a financial loss. This insurance pays out a regular sum of money whilst you get better, so that your finances don’t add to your worries.


Secure insurance through Intouch

Intouch Accounting has partnered with reputable insurance provider Kingsbridge, which specialises in comprehensive contractor policies. To make things easier, Kingsbridge offers an insurance package which includes professional indemnity cover, as well as public and employer’s liability. You can also boost protection with directors’ and officers’ liability and personal accident cover.

And if you’d like support getting your business off the ground, find out more about Intouch’s services by calling one of our experts on 01202 375293.



This blog has been prepared by Intouch Accounting. While we have made every attempt to ensure that the information contained in this blog has been obtained from reliable sources, Intouch is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. This blog should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional accounting advisers. If you have any specific queries, please contact Intouch Accounting.